For most people in India, owning a home is a lifelong dream. Increasing real estate prices, this aspiration becomes unattainable. Home loans can be a reliable ally in this endeavor. Bank supports new as well existing customers to help get a Home Loan as per requirement.
What is a Home Loan?
Home loans, also referred to as housing loans or mortgages, are financial products that banks, and other financial institutions offer to help people buy or build a home. The loan amount is paid back over a certain period, along with interest.
Types of Home Loans:
Each home loan is designed for a specific purpose, so it is important to carefully evaluate your needs before choosing the loan that best meets your needs.
The following are the most common types offered in India:
1. Home Purchase Loan:
This is the simplest and most popular home loan type. It can be used to purchase new or used residential properties. The amount of the loan depends on the value of the property, your income and your credit score.
2. Home Construction Loan:
Home construction loans are the preferred option for those who wish to build a residence on a plot of land they already possess. These loans are paid in instalments over the course of the construction process, guaranteeing that funds are available at each stage.
3. Home Improvement Loan:
Home improvement loans are designed to cover the costs associated with the renovation or repair of an existing residence. These loans can be used for a variety of purposes, such as kitchen remodeling, the addition of a new room, and structural alterations.
4. Balance Transfer Loan:
A balance transfer loan is a loan option available to borrowers who have an existing home loan and are able to negotiate a better rate with a new lender. This loan enables borrowers to transfer their remaining loan balance to a new lender at a more advantageous rate.
5. Home Extension Loan:
A home extension loan can be used to finance the construction or extension of an existing residence in order to accommodate the needs of an expanding family or to meet changing requirements.
Tips to Consider Before Applying for a Home Loan:
- Interest Rate: Fixed interest rates are available on home loans. While fixed rates remain constant over the life of the loan, floating rates change depending on repo rate change as per regulator directive.
- Loan Tenure: There are a variety of tenure options available for home loans, with the longest available being between 15 and 30 years depending on customer profile. The longer the tenure, the lower the monthly payments, but the higher the overall interest rate paid.
- EMI (Equated Monthly Installment): Your EMI comprises the principal amount and interest. Online EMI calculators are available to calculate your monthly payments.
- Prepayment and Foreclosure: Option to make part payment or foreclose is available for the customer. Foreclosure or part payment charges applicable as per the type of External Benchmark Rate (EBR).
Home Loan Benefits:
Securing a home loan is a crucial step in unlocking the lifelong dream of owning a home. Here are the top advantages of obtaining a home loan:
- Affordability: A home loan offers a number of advantages, one of which is the ability to make homeownership more accessible. Rather than having to pay the full price of a property in full, a down payment can be paid and the loan can cover the remaining balance.
- Tax Benefits: In India, home loan borrowers can benefit from tax deductions under the provisions of Section 24 (b) and 80C of Income Tax Act, which include deductions for both principal and interest on the loan.
- Long Repayment Tenure: Home loans come with extended repayment terms, making it simpler for borrowers to pay their bills on time. The extended repayment term leads to lower EMI payments, making the loan more affordable.
How to Avail a Home Loan?
To avail a home loan in India, one must meet certain eligibility criteria and provide specific documentation.
- Age: In India, most lenders stipulate that applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 70. However, the age limit may be slightly different depending on the financial institution.
- Financial stability: It is essential for borrowers to have a reliable source of income. Lenders typically require a steady source of income from employment or a business in order to guarantee repayment of the loan.
- Credit Score: A good credit score is essential. Lenders check credit history to assess borrower’s creditworthiness. A high credit score increases the chance of loan approval.
- Loan Amount and Repayment Capacity: The loan amount depends upon the borrower’s income and ability to repay. Generally, lenders consider the EMI to be a percentage of the borrower’s monthly income.
Documentation Required to Get a Home Loan:
Most banks and financial institutions require the following documents to approve your home loan application:
1. Identity Proof:
Valid government-issued IDs like Aadhar card, Passport, or Voter ID are essential for identity verification.
2. Address Proof:
Documents such as Aadhar card, Passport, utility bills, or rent agreement can be used as address proof.
3. Income Proof:
- Salary slips of the last 3-6 months
- Form 16 or Income Tax Returns (ITR) of the last 2-3 years
- Business financials, including Profit and Loss statements and Balance Sheets
- ITR of the last 2-3 years
- Business registration documents
4. Bank Statements:
The last 6-12 months of bank statements are required to evaluate your financial transactions and savings.
5. Property Documents:
Legal documents related to the property being purchased, such as the Sale Deed, Title Deed, and Property Tax receipts, are necessary.
6. Passport-size Photographs:
Recent passport-size photographs are needed for the loan application.
7. Employment Proof:
Salaried individuals may be required to provide an employment certificate or appointment letter from their employer.
8. Loan Application Form:
A duly filled out loan application form provided by the lender.
9. Guarantor Documents:
If a guarantor is involved, their financial documents and identity/address proofs will be needed.
If you’re looking for a way to get your dream home, a home loan could be the answer. It’s a financially sound way to become a homeowner, with lots of perks and features to choose from. But it’s important to go through the process carefully, taking into account your finances and looking into different options.